Saturday, January 14, 2012

Swope Bread


This was the easiest and fastest bread I have ever made! There is no kneading and waiting for the dough to rise, just throw the ingredients together, mix and bake. Totally my kind of bread!

Another thing that I liked was that the bread didn't crumble when we cut into it. It had nice texture and delicious taste, even my picky mother liked it. Here's what you'll need:

Ø  4 cups all purpose flour
Ø  2 cups whole wheat flour
Ø  1 cup white sugar
Ø  2 tsp salt
Ø  4 tsp baking soda
Ø  4 cups buttermilk

Directions:
Ø  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C)
Ø  Spray 2 9x5 loaf pans with Pam
Ø  Mix baking soda and buttermilk in bowl and set aside
Ø  Mix both flours, sugar and salt in large bowl
Ø  Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture and stir well
Ø  Spoon batter evenly into pans
Ø  Bake for one hour – don’t let it get too brown

**Recipe can be cut in half to make one loaf.**

Of course I had to make changes to the recipe because I like my bread.. well, a little healthier. Instead of the white all purpose flour, use Spelt or any other healthier version. You can make it all the same flour, or use 2 different kinds, your choice.

I dislike white sugar!!!! The recipe calls for a very generous amount of it so first of all, cut it down to about 1/2 to 3/4 cups. Better yet, use honey or any other natural sweetener instead.


I didn't have any buttermilk so I had to make it, homemade buttermilk. Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to about 1 cup of milk and let sit 5 minutes. A confession: I didn't have any milk so I used almond milk instead, that's why it looks a bit brownish in the picture. I imagined disastrous results but lo and behold, not so! The bread was just as delicious as when grandma Doris made it. 


This is what my dough looked like. My little 5 year old was trying to stir it but it was a tough job for my smallest helper. I maybe should've rotated the picture...


And finally after all this sweat and back breaking work, my bread goes into the oven :)
 I use my convection toaster oven for little jobs like this because it's so very handy. This little guy does a fabulous job and I use it literally every single day for something. (See how clean it is? My mom is a champion of clean, she can make anything shine!! Thank you mama!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers