Friday, May 27, 2011
Coconut Palm sugar
I ran into this "new" natural sweetener when I went to HEB last time. What is good about this is:
* Low Glycemic Index of 35. By comparison, commercial honey is 55 and cane sugar 68.
*Richer nutritional content than any other sweetener
* High in Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc and Iron
* It is a natural source of the vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and C
* Un- everything: unprocessed, unfiltered, unbleached
* No preservatives
* Can be substituted for traditional baking (1:1 ratio)
* Tropical palms are an ecologically beneficial tree crop that grows in diverse, wild-life supportive agro-ecosystems, restore damaged soils and require very little water
* Coconut Palms produce an average of 50-75% more sugar per acre than Sugar Cane and use less than 1/5th the nutrients for that production
I tried it with Greek yogurt and thought it was delicious. The taste reminded me of brown sugar so of course I really liked it :o)
Before you dash to the store to get some Coconut Palm sugar, remember to do your own research to make sure you get the product that is just right for you and your family!