Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Moisturizers under a microscope

I've had a terrible time since my last post; I've been sick and I'm just now getting out of it. Anyway, as I'm trying to get healthier food wise I also decided to take a look at the moisturizers we put in direct contact with the largest organ of our bodies, the skin.

Parabens: You'll find these in almost every moisturizer. They are used as a preservative to keep your cremes fresh and non-moldy. Sounds good, right? Wrong! Parabens have hormone disrupting qualities that mimic estrogen and could stop your body's endocrine system. Because of this they are linked to cancer. Cancer in a bottle, hmm, doesn't sound so good anymore!

Mineral oil, Paraffin and Petrolatum:These products coat the skin like plastic making it impossible for it to breath. When the pores are clogged, the toxins have nowhere to go except build up in your body.
These ingredients can also slow cellular development which causes aging. Isn't that the reason we're using the expensive commercial cremes in the first place, to stay looking young(er)??? They are also linked to cancer.

Sodium Lauryl or Laurel Sulfate (SLS) a.k.a Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES): Problem #1 is that they break down the moisture barrier of the skin thus leading to dry skin and maybe even premature aging. Problem #2 is that this chemical can easily enter the body and with other chemicals, can become a potent carcinogen. That means cancer causing. Not good :-(

Acrylamide: This bad boy is found in many facial creams and is linked to mammary tumors. It may also cause dermatitis and skin irritation.

Propylene glycol: Check this out, this chemical has been linked to kidney and liver problems. It may also inhibit cell growth.

Phenol Carbolic Acid: Ok, the name already sounds bad. This puppy can cause circulatory collapse, paralysis, convulsions, coma and even death from respiratory failure. Things that make you go hmmmmmm....

Dioxane: A very potent carcinogen. Carcinogenicity was first reported in 1965.

Toluene: This one is made from petroleum and coal tar... YUCK! Poisonous and chronic exposure is linked to anemia, lowered blood cell count, liver and kidney damage, and it may also effect a developing fetus.

I think we should call commercial moisturizers and cremes "death in a bottle" or "cancer in a bottle".

I've quit using all commercial skin care products, I'm sure you're shocked and surprised ;-) Instead I use raw organic coconut oil. Pure, rich in nutrients, beautifully scented, and just like mother nature intended. One bottle goes a long way except now that I am also using it as butter replacement, it goes a little faster. I've gotten more compliments on my skin than ever before and all I did was trash my expensive store bought lotions and switch to coconut oil.

Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers