Sunday, September 26, 2010

Experimental almond scones with Xylitol

I wanted to use Xylitol and almond milk in baking so I decided to make some scones. They turned out very delicious and were gone in a matter of minutes. Since I only had a limited amount of time, I made my scones out of a box (Garvey's organic scone mix)

Here's what you need:



Scone mix (I chose the kind that you can make either sweet or salty scones out of)
Xylitol (I used Xylosweet)
Almond extract
Slivered almonds
Spelt flour

My son had to get his Buzz Light year in the picture :) Anyway, follow the package directions but use Xylitol instead of the sugar in the same amount. Before adding liquid and butter, add the slivered almonds. I broke mine up into smaller pieces. The add the butter, liquid and almond extract. I used almond milk as my liquid. I dipped my hand in spelt flour to make the dough nonsticky when I was patting it into the pie pan.



Follow package directions to bake. This is how mine looked right out of the oven. YUM!

Xylitol can't be used with bread type of baking but you could probably use it in cookies and anything that doesn't require yeast. I was pleasantly surprised at the deliciousness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers