Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dehydrating

I have been trying something new this week: dehydrating vegetables. I saw it done online and decided to try it. It worked out surprisingly well!

For this project you will need:

Dehydrator
Bag of frozen vegetables or fruit
Seal a meal machine
Plastic bags (the kind that come with your seal a meal machine)
Oxygen absorbers



Here is a picture of what I started with: my little dehydrator from Walmart and a bag of frozen corn. I take such wonderful pictures, don't I?!

I sprinkled the frozen corn kernels on the tray of my dehydrator like so:



You don't have to separate the pile into a single layer, just dump the bag on the tray, smooth out and turn the machine on. Poor little babies, they have no idea what's coming next! :-(

About 6 hours later I got dehydrated corn:



At this point you would pull out your Seal a meal machine, bag the corn with the oxygen absorber and seal it shut remembering to label how much, when and what's in there. I didn't do this part yet as I've not received my ox absorbers. I've stored the corn in a baggie and hope that it won't get ruined by the time I can get it sealed. This whole process is very simple and a huge advantage to your food storage, should you choose to have one.

Two things: Point #1 - I don't know what dehydrating does to the nutritional value of the food but let me tell you, I'd rather have this stored for when I need it than not.
Point # 2 - It may be cheaper to buy the #10 cans of freeze dried this and that BUT sometimes you may find that forking out the $20 is much harder than buying a $2.00 bag of frozen corn and dehydrating it yourself.

If you would like to learn more and see wonderful videos, please click here. There ya go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers