Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pasta and white bean soup



I went to H.E.B (local grocery store) the other day and got to taste this soup. It was delicious and, as I later found out, fast & easy. My bean eating family at it happily (well except one) so I am excited to include it into my repertoire :o) Here is the recipe:

Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 15 min Serves: 4

12-16 oz of meat substitute (like Boca) or any cooked meat
32 oz chicken broth
2 - 14.5 oz cans Italian style diced tomatoes (I used 1 and it was plenty)
2 - 14.5 oz cans cannellini or other white white beans, divided use
1.5 cups uncooked medium size pasta (small shells, mini penne, elbow mac etc.)
1 Tbsp garlic (in oil), drained (I used garlic powder to taste)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning (I added a bit more so use it to taste)
8-10 oz frozen spinach or fresh baby spinach (optional if your family doesn't like)
1/2 c shredded Parmesan for garnish (I used it out of the shaker bottle)
I also used a sprinkle of Romano cheese on top of Parmesan (just cos I had it..)

1. Saute onion and garlic in a 6 qt pot. Add meat and heat up.
2. Combine broth, tomatoes and 1 can of white beans over medium-high heat. Mash remaining can of white beans in a small bowl; stir into soup mixture and bring to boil. I mashed by hand and it wasn't all smooth and unclumpy. Doesn't matter, do your best and then dump into the soup.
3. Add pasta and Italian seasoning. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 10 min or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in spinach; return soup to a boil. Cook 1 minute and remove from heat. Top with Parmesan (and Romano) cheese.

I made this soup with crescent rolls but you could just as easily serve ready made garlic bread and salad with it.

**Word of warning: it says serving size is 4 but it's more like 40. We ate this for 2 days and I still had plenty to put in my freezer. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers