Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hanging curtains

My son's room has been "devoid" of curtains ever since he was born 3 years ago. I know, I'm a slacker! I finally got tired of it and decided it was time. Now if I wait for my husband to hang the curtains, it will take forever so I decided to do it myself. It's really a piece of cake as long as you have all the tools you need.


You will need a drill & drill bits, a tape measure (missing from this picture), and a rubber mallet.
You will also need molly bolts, screws, brackets and the rod. Look at the picture below; mollies make up the letter H.

I usually buy everything in 1 packet so I get my rod, the brackets, screws and mollies. It's very convenient for me.

What you will do next is you measure how high you want your rod to be. Remember: measure twice, drill once! If you don't know how to use the drill, please ask your hubby for private lessons. He'll be shocked but pleasantly surprised that you want to learn to use his tools. Some may become a bit protective of their possessions but don't worry, that too shall pass once they notice their honey-do list greatly shortened.

Once you have measured and marked your spot (oh yea, you need a pencil too), you need to drill a hole into the wall. Don't be scared, it's so much fun! Once the hole is drilled, grab one of the molly bolts and using the rubber head mallet, hammer it into the wall. Don't bang away on it because if your hole isn't deep enough, all you are going to do is bend the molly and then it's wasted. Yes, you have to know how deep to drill. I usually guesstimate the depth of the hole which is not good but that's how I play. Below is a picture of my molly in the wall.


Now that the molly is securely in place, you can screw in the brackets.


The last step is to hang the curtains on the rod and the rod on the brackets. Easy as pie! Now go hang something!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers