Monday, March 19, 2012

Breakfast of champions

I make oatmeal for breakfast for my family most mornings with organic steel cut oats. As you know, they take a long time to cook! I started experimenting because who really has the time those mornings when the kids have to go to school to be slaving over a hot pot of porridge?! I started soaking my oats. Soaking grains makes them more digestible and helps our bodies get the maximum amount of nutrition out of them. Short and sweet! It does take a little bit of planning but once you're on the roll, it becomes automatically. This is how I soak my oatmeal. I measure 1 cup of steel cut oats and put them into a glass bowl. Then I warm up 1 cup of water just slightly warmer than room temperature, add in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, cover it and leave it until next morning when I make the "oak meal", like my 5 year old calls it. I soak anywhere between 12 and 24 hrs on the counter. Here is a picture:
This cuts my cooking time to about 10 minutes in the morning, because my grain is already soft and full of nutrition. Happy soaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers