Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Skillet Bread

I am posting another great time saving recipe: the skillet bread. You will need:

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups milk
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt

Mix dry ingredients, then add milk until spongy.
Heat butter in 10" skillet. Be sure it is evenly spread in the pan and on the sides (you may want to pull out your pastry brush for the job).
Spread batter evenly in the skillet. Keep the heat low so you don't burn the bread.
Cook about 15 minutes per side or until the bottom is golden. Flip (or transfer to another pan) and cook the other side.

My notes:
First of all, let me just throw this out there although I'm sure you're rolling your eyes as I say it: all of my ingredients are organic. There, I said it. But not only that... my baking powder is aluminum free (Rumford) and I don't use teflon pans. No no no, they are bad for your health and should be thrown out with the trash! I used my wonderful cast iron pans, well seasoned of course. Also the milk I used was almond but had I used real cow's milk, it would have been organic. My salt choice: Real salt.
I've tried this bread x 2. First time the dough was too hard and when I tried to flip it, it broke apart. I learned my lesson and used more milk and 2 skillets next time. I melted 1 tbsp of butter and added the dough. Once the bread was dry on the top and the edges looked golden, I melted the other tbsp of butter in the other skillet. Instead of trying to flip, I transferred the bread onto the other frying pan. I liked it better than trying to flip but that's just my personal preference.
Think of this recipe as your canvas. You can add anything to it, you can make it sweet, add herbs, make it with whole wheat, quinoa, cheese etc. The options are wide open.

Our favorite ways to eat the skillet bread is warm with either butter, cheese or raspberry jelly on it. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers