Monday, May 23, 2011

Surprise cookies


Guess what I have in my jar in this picture and right now? Sweet Potato chocolate chip cookies. You think they were yummy? ABSOLUTELY! The kids can't get enough of them!

Here is the recipe I used but please see my notes on the bottom:

1-3 cups sweet potato, cooked and mashed
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup margarine or butter, cold
1/4 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup raisins (optional)
cinnamon or white chocolate chips to taste (optional)
2 TBSP flax seed meal (optional)

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs and dry ingredients. Mix in mashed sweet potato and then any optional ingredients. Drop by teaspoonful onto a greased baking sheet (or use parchment paper without grease). Bake at 350 F for 10-12 min. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.

NOTE: I only put in 7 TBSP of butter and I forgot the apple sauce. The sweet potatoes made the cookies really moist so I had no texture problems at all. Also, I used 2 sweet potatoes mashed which made a lot of cookies. I didn't put in any raisins or flax seed although I wish I would have tried the latter. The cookies are more cake like than cookies usually are but they sure are delicious!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers