Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tortilla soup



I tried a quick and easy recipe tonight. I changed it a bit from the original by leaving out chili peppers and putting in my own spices. Also, originally it wasn't a crockpot recipe but since I love to use mine, I prepared the soup in it. Turned out very delicious, even my bean disliking husband had seconds!

29 oz of chicken broth
2 14.5oz cans of Rotel tomatoes (I used Muir Glen's Basil and Garlic)
1 16oz can Bush's best refried bean
1 4oz can diced green chilies (I didn't use)
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups chicken OR I used 6 thigh pieces, whole. Just plop them in the crock
A sprinkle of taco seasoning (to your taste)
A sprinkle of garlic powder (to your taste. I have a heavy hand when it comes to garlic powder)
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Cilantro (Optional)
Chips

This is what I did: put everything except the Mo Jack cheese and cilantro (if using) in the crockpot and turn it on low (see picture above). I let mine cook about 5 hrs and it was ready to eat.

Sprinkle with cheese, garnish with cilantro (if using, I didn't) and crush some corn chips on top before serving. I also fried a few flour tortillas and cut them into wedges because the family likes to eat something that reminds them of bread.

Note 1: The recipe makes a lot of soup! I made 1/2 a batch and it still left us with leftovers for tomorrow.
Note 2: If you have a lot of liquid leftover, add more corn, tomatoes and even rice when heating it up the next day.
Note to self: I am adding this recipe to my food storage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers