Sunday, January 23, 2011

6 ways to make any baking recipe healthier




I am trying to eat healthier this year as my New Year's resolution. This resolution keeps coming back every year because I think it's such an important one and, well frankly, because I'm not there yet.

My weakness is the baked stuff and I hardly ever make it because I know I'll be eating most of it. Needless to say, I was very excited to read about these 6 steps to make recipes healthier. Here they are.

1. Substitute finely ground whole wheat or spelt for white flour. White wheat works best, red is a little bitter.

2. Substitute coconut sugar or sucanat for white sugar. You can read about coconut sugar here on the Green Smoothie Girl's blog.

3. Substitute regular baking powder with aluminum free. For example, Rumford is aluminum free and, for example, I can buy it at the local grocery store (HEB).

4. Substitute vegetable oil with organic cold pressed coconut oil.

5. Substitute regular eggs with organic free range. It's all about the ratio of Omega 3's and 6's; commercial eggs have more 6's but organic free range ones have more 3's. We need less 6 and more 3.

6. Substitute iodized (regular table) salt with Himalayan Crystal salt. Actually, NEVER use iodized salt. Never!

Enjoy the forbidden treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers