Friday, November 19, 2010

Tis the season..


.. for all kinds of crud flying around. My house has been plagued by a persistent cough and runny noses, and I'm getting tired of it. I'm declaring war so buggers, germs etc. WATCH OUT! I've enlisted Earth Clinic to help me, where I go sometimes to read other users posts on natural remedies. I also found an article in the USA Weekend that listed some foods we can use to help boost our immunities.

Lemons can restore your body's alkalinity and maintain the natural pH levels that support healthy bacteria instead of the nasty ones. The bad boys want acidity because they thrive in an acidic environment, so when you feel something stirring within you (and I mean germ wise), include lemons in your diet. Earth Clinic advises that lemon juice first thing in the morning on an empty stomach keeps you alkaline, helps with water retention and also weight reduction. If you already have the flu/cold, juice one lemon and add it to a cup of hot water. Sweeten with honey and drink. Please note: use real lemons, not the stuff in the bottle from the grocery store!! (and as always, organic is superior to regular)

Green tea and white tea stimulate your immune system. I personally can't stand teas but if you can, drinking them can help you recover faster. Again, do not sweeten with sugar but honey. Honey has antibacterial antimicrobial agents so it would be a very wise addition to the tea.

I've talked about this before and here it comes again: raw garlic is known as the "edible antibiotic". Peel a clove and slice into edible pieces. Before eating, mash each piece and then set on the back of the tongue. Wash down with water. Make sure you don't bite into it or let it touch the inside of your cheeks because it will burn like no other! What about the stench after eating? You can munch on some parsley or suck on whole cloves. Both have wonderful health "side effects".

Kidney beans and chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans) contain protein that is required for a strong immune system. Why didn't I say chicken or beef, as they contain protein as well? Beans are plant based protein and don't contain cholesterol for example. They also contain fiber and are considered a power house of nutrition. Increase beans in your family's menu and your body will be happy.

Brazil nuts contain a secret weapon, an antioxidant called selenium that can kill germs. Brazil nuts are the #1 source for selenium according to USA Weekend, so let's stock up on them. They are a delicious snack too as long as you remember to eat them in moderation. I eat about 4-6 Brazil nuts a day when I have them in my pantry. You should be able to find them at your local grocery store. HEB (on Market Street) for example has them in their bulk section.

I also have Astragalus in my cupboard. As soon as I feel anything coming down, I start taking 2 pills three times a day. I usually don't have a problem if I stick to this routine. I'm also drinking green smoothies with lots of dark green leafy veggies and I don't have as much as a sniffle. Another friend of mine is raw unfiltered honey. I use it for coughs and it has worked much better than any medicine I've used. With the kids, I spread it on toast, pancakes, muffins, biscuits etc. and they eat it up. Sprinkled with a little cinnamon, because it too has health benefits, my kids gobble up their "medicine".

Remember: your diet provides the nutrients and vitamins your body needs to fight off germs. What you eat is your main source of important immunity building nutrients so let's not forget to help ourselves... well, help ourselves!

PS. And remember, I am not a doctor or any sort of expert in the matters of natural health. I report what I find and what's working for me. You make your own decisions for you & yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers