Sunday, October 3, 2010

Quinoa cookies



Quinoa ("Keen-wah") is most commonly classified as a grain although it's related to spinach, beets and Swiss chard. It's high in protein and mild flavored, and can be served in place of rice and pasta. Try these cookies as an easy introduction to Quinoa.

(This recipe is from the Green Smoothie Girl book)

1 C quinoa flour (blend in your high powered blender OR wheat grinder if you can't find it at the store)
1 C finely ground whole-wheat flour (soft white wheat is best)
1/4 C Sucanat or honey
1 TBSP aluminum free baking powder (for example Rumford)
1/2 C coconut oil
1 egg (organic, free-range)

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix all dry ingredients together and then add coconut oil, egg and honey if you are using it. Mix well. I made 1" balls that I then flattened on the cookie sheet and baked for 10 minutes or until very lightly browned.

I couldn't find Sucanat so I used sugar in the raw. I taste tested the dough until I got the sweetness I wanted.

I personally didn't care for the cookies a whole lot but my hubby and picky kids loved them. This cookie is low in sugar and high in protein, and would make a great addition to school lunches or afternoon snacks. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers