Friday, April 30, 2010

Bolero sewing project

For this project you'll need a t-shirt, sewing machine, scissors or rotary cutters and pins.



I drew a line 16" down from the shoulder seam. Your bolero could be shorter or longer, whatever you want. Draw another line down the middle and then cut along the lines. Zick zack along all cut edges.

You can either turn the hem and sew or leave it with just the zick zack edge. I left mine un-hemmed because I like the lettuce leaf look. If you pull the hem while zick zacking, it will be even more lettuce leaf like.



Make 2 straps from the left over t-shirt material. I made mine 2.5" wide. Zick zack all cut edges. Isn't this fun?!

Ruffle the straps. I sewed a line down the middle of each strap with 5.0 stitch length. Make sure to leave tails for your thread as you'll have to use them to pull the top thread. And make sure you pull gently so the threads won't snap.



Pin the ruffles on the bolero and sew down the middle.


This is what the finished project looks like. You can still see the chalk lines on the bolero and something funky going on in the front with the ruffles but it actually turned out better than I thought it would.

This project took me about an hour but I had to put my kids to bed in the middle of it. So realistically maybe about 20-30 minutes. Easy as pie :o)

Since I can only post 4 pictures/post, you can go here for step by step pictures of each step.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers